Footnotes

I have spent most of my life learning how to carry things without making them look heavy.
A childhood divided into before and after. Two small hands reaching for mine before I had learned what mine were for. I became useful early. There are worse ways to disappear.

For years, I mistook being needed for being known, and responsibility for a kind of love that could not leave me. I kept records of everything. The places people touched me. The places they didn't. The exact shape of a silence after someone changed their mind. I studied people the way some people study weather— not because it could be controlled, but because knowing its patterns made leaving the house feel safer.
I called it research. Sometimes it was.

Sometimes I was only trying to understand why a person can live inside another person long after they have left. There are things I have loved with the discipline of a scholar and the recklessness of a woman who has mistaken longing for evidence. I have built entire theories from glances, from unanswered questions, from the particular cruelty of being almost chosen.

And still, I cannot make myself believe that love is meaningless just because it did not stay. Perhaps this is the embarrassing part: I still think tenderness can be consequential even when it has nowhere to go. I have carried people into rooms they will never know they entered.

A sentence.
A degree.
A page written at three in the morning.

A life I kept assembling because somewhere along the way someone made me want to become more than what had happened to me. I used to think becoming meant becoming certain. Now I think it may be the quieter thing— to wake up one morning and find that I have stopped asking every absence what it says about me.

To let some things remain unfinished without calling them failures. To walk away from the place where I have been measuring myself against what someone else possesses. To admit that there are days when I have nothing profound to say. No beautiful ending. No lesson.

Only a woman sitting inside the life she made, looking at all the pieces she once thought were evidence
of someone else, and realizing— they were hers the whole time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ink That Knew Me Before I Did

A Letter to Hope

Chaos Is Fundamental, Peace Is Overrated