A Short Story: Lives Within Lives



 Sonder: noun. the realization that each passerby is living a life as vivid and as complex as your own.

 

 

8:05 p.m PST, LAX; I left Honolulu this morning for the first time in almost 3 years now, after having traveled so often and frequently in the past 7 years prior to the last 3 years. Sitting in my gate area 4 hours before my flight even boards, I can't help but notice people passing me by- each going to a respective destination. Every so often, a passenger would stop to look at the monitor right in front of me and I can see their eyes quickly scanning the endless list trying to find their flight numbers. In this moment, I wonder what its like to be someone else, anybody else other than me. I am certain that the intensity of my life would still be high, despite having lived very different lives. Through my life, I observe other lives- and I try to see the most I can from the surface of their physicality; their scowl, their smile, their excitement and their hesitation. You can almost always tell a small fraction of the kind of lives other people live just from observing them move in a short amount of time; we, humans, wear those moments and experiences on our faces everyday. 

-JVL 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Interesting theories about Humanity

A Perfect Being

Amidst My Intermittent Nature